The mission of First Presbyterian Church of Sturgis is living and sharing the message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ with our church family and the world.
Sturgis was a little frontier town in 1886 when the Rev. J. Logan Sample, a Home Missionary representing the Home Mission Board, arrived driving a 'team of blacks' to organize the First Presbyterian Church of Sturgis. This was accomplished in October of 1886. The House of Worship was built, and dedicated on January 23, 1887.
The Rev. J. Logan Sample purchased from F. J. Washabough of Deadwood, three lots fronting on Junction Ave., and adjoining Mr. Witcher's residence property, on which he immediately proceeded to erect a Presbyterian Church building.